Read the whole article yourself. Here I will just give you the 11 points of advice:
- Issue an edict: Digital is first!
- Consolidate print and online editing functions
- Print edition: Don’t bother chasing young people
- Print edition: Focus on the core demographic
- Guide older print loyalists to a life online
- Reduce the number of print editions
- Online: Broaden definition of news to include micro-personal
- Hire a social VP
- Experiment, fail, experiment more
- Leverage your remaining staffers, and augment them
- Consider retirement
These are bold proposals and would stir a lot of noise if implemented in most newspaper companies. Yet there is no doubt that Outing is right in many of his observations. Nothing less than a radical overhaul is necessary in many newspaper companies.
Even the American Press Institute admits that the newspaper industry, at least in the USA, is in a full-blown crisis.
As Steve Outing concludes: The clock is ticking!